In 2014 Broadbeach became the southern terminus of the Gold Coast light rail connecting the area directly to Surfers Paradise and Southport.
Jim Cavill, with the support of locals, continued to lobby until the place name Elston was formally to Surfers Paradise in 1933.
By 1917, the Commercial Banking Company of Sydney (National Australia Bank) had acquired the property and, at a late stage, some of the area was converted to a pine plantation.
The suburb of Oxenford and the original railway station on the southern bank of the Coomera River were both named after W. R. Oxenford.
The Nerang township grew following the development of cotton and sugar plantations on the Nerang River at Carrara, Bundall, and Benowa.
In 1871, the population of Mudgeeraba district was listed as 31 and the settlers lived an isolated, difficult existence.
The name Main Beach is descriptive, since it was the main surf beach for the town of Southport, the earliest surveyed town in the immediate area.
By the 1880s the Helensvale Plantation had 55 acres cultivated with sugar with five European and 32 Pacific Islander workers living on the property.
The suburb, originally a township, is named for the schooner Coolangatta that was wrecked on the beach to the north of the Tweed River in 1846.