The Hotel Cecil, also known as the Cecil Hotel, is an Art Deco hotel on the corner of Scarborough and Nerang Streets in Southport.
Governor Musgrave’s choice of Southport’s calm waters and climate raised the profile of the region and encouraged affluent followers of fashion to spend their time in the new seaside resort.
The complex opened on 26 March 1969, containing Queensland's first Big W family department store, a Woolworths supermarket, cinema, restaurant and 45 speciality stores.
Construction began on 11 January 1934 and the building was officially opened by the Queensland Premier, William Forgan-Smith on 2 August 1935.
The cable was laid in a six foot deep trench that ran through sand dunes at Main Beach before being connected to another cable to cross the Nerang River and terminate at the Cable Station in Bauer Street.
After the end of World War II, two recycled army huts were used for the construction of the Miami Ice works which opened in 1947 on Kratzmann Avenue in Miami.
Illuminated at night, the castle's bright orange turrets were a landmark for fishermen and a navigation aid.
Kinkabool was constructed next door to Margot Kelly’s Hibiscus Restaurant on a small block in Hanlan Street that had previously been the location of the Flamingo Nightclub.
Guesthouses were founded throughout the South Coast in the latter part of the 19th and early 20th century but those at Coolangatta became legendary.
The junction at Ernest was named after Member of Parliament Ernest J. Stevens, and the section of alignment and tunnel, is a rare surviving example of 19th century railway engineering on the Gold Coast.