The ancient Gold Coast landscape was formed deep in the ocean as mud and sand millions of years ago. Over time it was compressed and squeezed into a type of sandstone called greywacke with shale, siltstone and slate also forming.
The eruption of the massive shield volcano at Mt Warning sent lava flows across the surrounding land and in some places lava forced its way up through vents and formed volcanic plugs. Egg Rock is an example of a rhyolite plug from the edge of the massive volcano which has become a 410 metre high pinnacle in the valley due to the erosion of the surrounding soil and rocks over millennia.
Egg Rock, known as Kurraragin in the Yugambeh language, is situated in the Numinbah Valley on the western side of the Nerang River in the Lamington National Park. The prominent geological feature can be seen from the walking tracks that originate in Binna Burra on the Beechmont plateau.
Long admired for its natural beauty, Egg Rock featured on the illustrated front cover of The Queenslander, May 4, 1938 and early visitors enjoyed climbing the rock and enjoying the 360 degree views from the summit.
Sources of information and further reading
- Herbert, H. W. & Stevens N. C. The ancient history of the Gold Coast. 1983.
http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/lamington/about.html#features Accessed 10/12/2015
- “Numinbah.” South Coast Bulletin (Southport, Qld. : 1929 – 1949) 5 May 1933: 1. Web. 5 Jan 2016. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article133771330
- “Queensland Beauty Spots.” The Brisbane Courier (Qld. : 1864 – 1933) 4 Apr 1908: 13. Web. 5 Jan 2016. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article19506197
- “Numbinbah.” South Coast Bulletin (Southport, Qld. : 1929 – 1949) 31 Dec 1937: 10. Web. 5 Jan 2016. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article133669792
- “A 600ft. climb.” The Brisbane Courier (Qld. : 1864 – 1933) 31 Mar 1933: 16. Web. 5 Jan 2016. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article22149764
- “An Interesting First Ascent.” The Queenslander (Brisbane, Qld. : 1866 – 1939) 10 Jan 1929: 6. Web. 5 Jan 2016. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article22856135
- Queensland State Government, Department of National Parks, Sport and Racing. http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/lamington/pdf/lamington-binna-burra-map.pdf Accessed 5/1/2016.