The Walk Arcade was situated between the Gold Coast Highway (Surfers Paradise Boulevard) and Ferny Avenue and was built by Albert Lacey around 1955.
Considered the height of modernity at the time, it featured a striking mural facing onto the Gold Coast Highway. The mural contained motifs influenced by Egyptian and Aboriginal folklore as well as illustrations that depicted the advancements of humankind throughout time.
One of the arcade’s most well-known restaurants was the La Ronde Barbecue. The restaurant was established at the far end of the Walk Arcade in November 1955 and was an open air circular barbecue restaurant. It was a popular outdoor eating spot, especially in winter, as it was sheltered from cool westerly winds.
The Walk also had serviced apartments at the rear near Ferny Avenue and a range of businesses including: Curzons women’s clothing store, Corrie and Co. Stockbrokers and Peter Smith menswear store.
The Walk was demolished and the site was incorporated into Circle on Cavill.
Sources of information further reading
- McRobbie, Alexander. The Fabulous Gold Coast. Surfers Paradise: Pan News, 1984.